Monday, July 5, 2010

"Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys



Listening to:
The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" (released 1965)
Album length / Painting time: 35:58
Familiarity with the album: Honestly? I had never listened to it.
Recommended by: Jeff L., Dante, Laura, Biz
Painting size: 20X26"
Price: $200
Okay, so:
It's one of the most influential records of all time. I know that. Maybe it's just my association with these songs as singular entities being pounded into my brain by the oldies station... Perhaps. It's just not moving me. "God Only Knows" is certainly a beautiful song, but I don't find this album particularly inspiring. I like it alright. But it's not rubpaintallovermybodyinaswoon-worthy.

My boyfriend was with me when I worked on this piece, and he felt the same way. When the album was done, he joked, "The Beach Boys? More like Shitty Vampire Weekend", which comment I proceeded to post on Facebook, for its hilarity. I never expected the backlash that resulted. There were too many comments and discussions to post it all, but here are some favorites:

"That sentence makes me hate Jeff."

"Does Jeff have a problem with the Beach Boys? Has he ever heard "Pet Sounds"? Is he a complete IDIOT?"

"Vampire Weekend=Shit"

"Every thing can't be all BASS heavy like your dang hippity-hoppity music."

Things got a little heated. My conclusion? People are really passionate about the music they love. So am I! Though I have never felt "right" for liking something, while someone else was "wrong" for being unmoved by it. I LOVE Tom Waits. I think he is brilliant, but I know a lot of people who will take a BIG PASS on Tom. He doesn't do it for everyone. Sgt. Pepper doesn't even do it for everyone! Pet Sounds will probably be a North Star for fans and musicians for ages, but others will simply live and die for... whatever they want. Vampire Weekend. And fair enough.

No comments: